Instrumentalists, ages 18 and under, are invited to audition for the Seattle Symphony’s Young Artist program!
The Young Artist program selects up to five instrumentalists to perform a solo with the Seattle Symphony in concert the following year.
All instruments are eligible to apply. Applicants must submit a written application, an audio and/or video recording with accompaniment, a list of prepared orchestra repertoire, a letter of recommendation, a biography and a headshot.
There are two-rounds in the audition process:
Round 1) an application with audio/video recording, which will be judged by a panel of Seattle Symphony musicians and staff.
Round 2) a live audition for a panel which includes Seattle Symphony Music Director Thomas Dausgaard
IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES
- January 16, 2020: All application materials are DUE and must be postmarked by this date*
- February 17, 2020: Round 1 decision notification
- March 16, 2020: Live auditions at Benaroya Hall
*Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
There are two steps to the application process:
1. Complete the online form by pressing the APPLY NOW button at the bottom of this page. Once you have completed your online application form, press the SUBMIT button. You will receive an automatically generated email notifying you of the receipt of your application.
2. Email supporting application materials to Seattle Symphony Associate Director of Artistic Collaborations Jérémy Jolley at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to:
Attn: Jérémy Jolley, Associate Director of Artistic Collaborations
P.O. Box 21906
Seattle, WA 98111-3906
After we have received all your application materials, we will send you an email to confirm your completed application.
All applications and required materials must be sent by January 16, 2020, at 11:59 PM. Participants will be notified in February 17, 2020 with selection result.
APPLICATION MATERIALS (REQUIRED)
Please have the following materials prepared when applying:
- A URL to an audio or video recording of a 7–10-minute audition piece performed by the applicant (on applicant’s website, YouTube, SoundCloud, etc.). The webpage must contain the applicant’s name and the title of the piece.
- A high-resolution headshot of applicant in jpg or png format (600 px or higher). The file name must be formatted as APPLICANT LAST NAME_FIRST NAME_YAA 2021 HEADSHOT.
- A biography for the applicant (approx. 50 words).
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or mentor.
An artistic panel from the Seattle Symphony will listen to all recordings to make selections for live auditions. Applicants will be notified on February 17, 2021 indicating whether or not they will advance to the final live audition round. Those selected for a live audition will be grouped into three audition times. At the audition, artists may be asked to play only a portion of their selection.
In the application form, applicants will be asked to indicate a first, second and third choice of audition time below. NOTE: Each applicant must mark a preference for each of the audition time slots below.
After hearing live auditions, Seattle Symphony Music Director Thomas Dausgaard will select exceptional participants for possible solo performance on education, family or community concert programs. Final decisions regarding soloists selected for performance rest with the Music Director with recommendations from musicians, artistic and education staff.